This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Saturday, December 03, 2005

War of the Worlds, a surprising find!

I just watched the movie, H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds. This was a direct-to-video production by something called The Asylum, not the more well-known Spielberg one or even the original one. It's been so long since I've seen the original that I can't remember it, so I'll ignore it for the purposes of this post.

Funnily enough, despite coming from a group of people who make low(or no)-budget horror flicks with lots of nudity and blood(I got this from the two previews that are on the DVD), this was a surprising gem of a movie. The acting was astonishingly good for an independent film, and the animatronic tripods were pretty cute, too. At least, they looked animatronic. If they were CGI, that was the cheesiest CGI I've ever seen.

This film was not ruined by two whining kids that should've been abandoned at the start, and I actually cared about the characters. Hell, I even wanted to see more of the crazy sargeant/general, just to see how far into the depth of insanity he was going to sink. Of course, the film still suffers from the same ending from which all War of the World movies suffer, namely the aliens dying from some bacteria or virus on Earth, but that's not a reflection on the film makers, but rather on the outdated story on which the film is based.

I cringed when I first pulled it off a shelf in th store, but having watched it, I'm glad I did. I enjoyed it.

Do you want to know more?
/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved