This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Gay marriage and the roaming charge

There's a story about George Michael getting married to his long-time boyfriend. Once you get over the Yewwww! factor, you think, “Well, good for them!” I'm always glad to see people(of whatever sexual persuasion) enter into a commitment to one another, to be faithful and all that. Of course, I wouldn't know, I've never been married, but I've been so informed that faithfulness is a required part of marriage. Not to say that everyone succeeds, but I guess you're supposed to try.

He said: "Gay relationships are a bit different. I'm sure we'll be allowed to roam if we want to. But we love each other dearly"


But I fail to understand the point of getting married if you plan on going into the thing expecting that you will not be faithful, and that your partner isn't going to be, either. But more importantly, is that really a tenent of gay relationships? Is this lack of respect for one another, not to mention the dangers inherent in “sowing your oats”(and does that expression mean to gay men what it means to straight men?), so rampant in the community that I haven't been able to find any news articles on the web that say he's full of shit about that? I don't mean straight men, I mean gay men(and for that matter, lesbian women), getting indignant about the whole thing? After all, he generalized about every single gay relationship out there. Are you people afraid of speaking out, or do you agree with him?

Frankly, I never would've commented on this story at all, if it hadn't been for that quote of his. If the idea of marriage means so little to you, why did you fight tooth and nail across the whole bloody planet to have that right? But if “roaming” is something that doesn't naturally occur in gay relationships, why isn't anyone calling bullshit on him?

Do you want to know more?
/

2 Comments:

At Sun Dec 04, 11:02:00 AM AST, Blogger Miranda said...

It seems to me that marriage in general, no matter the sexual orientation of the parties, is taken a lot less seriously by the younger generations these days. But then, my whole job exists because people couldn't get along (I work for people who collect and process child support payments). So, failed relationships are all I see.

 
At Sun Dec 04, 10:11:00 PM AST, Blogger SOH said...

Well, in my limited experience, this open discussion about open relationships is common in gay male relationships. I don't understand the logic of it either but them I am not a gay male. The weirdest thing I have noted is that a lot of gay guys form complicated friendship groups predicated on extended frienships with former lovers. Now that is something you just don't see in the straight world!

 

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved