This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Oh, the banality of it all!

Once again the entertainment industry misses the mark. A year or so ago, movie theatres used to force everyone to watch “you are starving us so please don't pirate movies” clips that purportedly were made with people who really work on movies, though I have my doubts about that. Now, the funny thing about that is that they had the wrong audience. The people who were being forced to watch all that actually paid to see the movie. Twenty years ago, before the advent of the VCR, that was basically all the income they would get, what the people paid at the theatres. As well, years ago, there were no force-fed commercials on the silver screen, though I must admit that the revenues from those ads probably goes directly to the theatres.

This is why the DVD set of Stargate: SG1 Season 8 is so irritating. I paid money for the damn thing, why should I have to sit through all the warnings about piracy. And you can't turn it off or fast-forward past it, either. You have to sit there and watch it in English and French, and it runs for a good 30 seconds! What's up with that? And on top of that, they took away the director's commentary that was a part of every DVD since about Season 4(I think).

And then, on top of it all, when I buy blank DVDs for my privately-produced content that has nothing to do with movies, I have to pay a surcharge because they can't convince people to shell out $25 for a movie. I haven't bought a movie in a long time now(frankly, I've bought all the movies worth buying), and the only music CDs I've bought recently have been in $6(approximate) pile at Zeller's. I won't pay $18 for a CD with a half-dozen tracks on it, and I can't be bothered to pirate, not perhaps because of any moral restraint, but simply because I consider most modern music to be absolute and unmitigated pile of crap. But more importantly, I've got better things to do than always sit in front of a computer looking for music and then having to listen to it all. It makes it much simpler that my car's CD changer doesn't support MP3.

So what have we learnt? Despite not needing a lot of music, I'll still buy it when it's cheap enough, and despite liking movies, especially sci-fi and horror, I will not pay $25 for a DVD unless it is really, really good. Show me inexpensive(under $10) movies, and I would buy a lot more. There're probably many other people like me. Is anyone in the great ivory towers paying attention?

Do you want to know more?
/ / / /

2 Comments:

At Tue Nov 29, 01:19:00 PM AST, Blogger SOH said...

I can't imagine what O'Neill would have to say about this!

 
At Tue Nov 29, 02:36:00 PM AST, Blogger Yu The Great said...

Oh, you just wait till my upcoming review of the latest Stargate: Atlantis episode!

 

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved