This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Friday, November 18, 2005

Of mice, men and keyboards

So I finally had to go out and buy myself a new keyboard and mouse; my wireless Logitech combo had finally given up the ghost. Oh, they still worked, but badly. The scroll wheel on the mouse kept actually lifting off its base, and keys on the keyboard kept sticking. How difficult could it be to buy a keyboard and mouse combo? I thought. Well, let me tell you.

First of all, it's been over three years since I've needed either a new keyboard or a new mouse, so I was completely unprepared for the way too much choice you're given at a store. And none of the choices are actually any good. I finally settled on a slightly shaped Microsoft optical keyboard and mouse combo.

Secondly, I really want to meet the moron who decided to rearrange the standard keyboard layout; I feel the overwhelming urge to slap him(or her) upside the head in protest. What was the point of rearranging the cursor control block on the keyboard? Can anyone explain that to me?

Thirdly, I miss the long-gone-by days when Keytronic keyboards, even those made in China rather than in the US, were basically indestructible and would last damn near forever. The first thing I noticed about this new keyboard is how flexible it is, and that's just bad. In fact, it's so flexible, I have to bend it every few minutes just to keep the right side of it on the desktop. Great workmanship you have there, Microsoft! Congrats! You ought to feel good about yourself. The damn thing wobbles like a bad table in a cheap restaurant; I have to put a wad of paper under one of the legs to just keep it steady.

Fourthly, the damn thing misses keystrokes. I hate that. When you blind touch-type, that really, really sucks!

Well, tomorrow this thing goes back for replacement, if the second one's going to be just as bad, it's going to get its Made-in-China ass returned. Damn, I hate getting crap in the box. And I have to learn a new keyboard layout. I double-hate hate that!

Do you want to know more?
/ / / / /

1 Comments:

At Sat Nov 19, 01:07:00 PM AST, Blogger SOH said...

Whatever you do, don't buy the Kensington Wireless Mouse. What a piece of shite that is.

Kensington Wireless Mouse brought to you by Duracell!

 

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved