This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Saturday, July 09, 2005

War of the Worlds, a good if dated movie

Language and spoiler warning!

Well, what is there to say about War of the Worlds? Good movie, great effects, but getting a bit dated and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in modern-age children or the parenting ability of adults.

Opening line: “At the start of the 21st century, who would've believed aliens were watching?”

OK, I've got a problem with that. Maybe at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, that wouldn't have occured to anyone. But after decades of sci-fi and our own observations of the real universe, not to mention the SETI project, I think we're kinda prepared by now to at least entertain the idea of aliens watching us. We are, after all, trying to find them.

And what is there to say about the kids? Or, for that matter, the guy's parenting skills? It's freaking war out there, kiddies, grow the fuck up! So, there he is, trying to lead his kids to safety, not knowing, of course, that there really isn't any safety, and both kids are doing their damndest trying to sabotage his efforts. If people survived Leningrad, you can damn well take a piss in front of your father, girlie. If shit is blowing up over the crest of that hill, do not make your father choose between your sister and yourself, kiddo.

The aliens and their machines were pretty well conceived and executed, but they had pretty weird energy canons on those machines. Able to destroy buildings in job lots, but still able to vapourize people while leaving their clothes to blow, untouched, in the wind. Dakota Fanning can really scream, Tim Robbins was creepy as the crazy farm guy, and Tom Cruise did a pretty good job, I thought, all things considered.

The end, of course, leaves much to be desired, for modern audiences, if for no other reason than that I, personally, check the weather before I got to work every day, and it's only a seven minute drive. These guys come all this way and don't even check that they're compatible with out existing ecosystem and don't take polution into account? Come on.

All in all, it's an enjoyable if somewhat dated movie.

Technorati Tags: / / / /

4 Comments:

At Sat Jul 09, 11:50:00 AM ADT, Blogger carrie said...

i agree with your assessment.
i enjoyed it.

 
At Sat Jul 09, 09:53:00 PM ADT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having watch the original movie years ago, I too have problems with this
movie. I enjoyed it but it was lacking in some areas.

Dakota Fanning, she is amazing. To think she is only 11 and wow what a set of lungs.
The acting was good no complaints there. The effects where good.

I can’t believe I have to explain this to you BUT, They really had no choice as to how the aliens died. We who have seen the original knew going in that it was germs that killed them. If they wanted to keep at least some of the facts from the original they had to end it that way.

Having said that you have to remember that the world was a much better/cleaner less populated place when the aliens first arrived, after all they had been buried under the earth for centuries

I guess the biggest disappointment at the end was when the son walked out of his mother’s house.
Typical Hollywood happy ending but VERY unrealistic, I mean we saw the total devastation. We all know no one survived yet there he is home and happy.

Over all a good movie, but I am getting tired of watching remakes, Why can’t someone make an original movie.

 
At Sun Jul 10, 12:20:00 AM ADT, Blogger The Mad Perseid said...

Well, I, too, know the story, and I know why the aliens died the way they did, and I know what caused it. What I'm saying is the story is getting dated because of it.

As for the happy ending, was it really a happy ending?

 
At Mon Jul 11, 02:50:00 AM ADT, Blogger The Talking Mute said...

I watched it yesterday and I had a different interpretation, an emotional one, I must say. I applaud Tom Cruises' performance, by the way. I agree that it is dated but I saw another angle of the movie, which I think is relevant today. While I was watching it, I put myself in the characters' shoes and wondered how I would have reacted, given my religious beliefs and moral values. The movie only used the aliens to present how humans may react in such an unbelievable situation. If you recall, Dakota thought that the attackers were terrorists. It also presented the different dilemmas parents face protecting their children. We saw in the movie that the son was surely obliterated by the aliens. But I think it showed us how parents wished their children would choose the better way and that no matter how devastated their children are, they wished that in the end, there's a "happy ending."

 

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved