This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Village

I saw The Village on TMN yesterday for the first time, and I have to say, I'm surprised. All that talk when it first came out about ridiculous plot twists and all that, but when you boil it down to its essentials, it's basically a love story embedded in a lie. There were a few surprise turns, that's true, but what good movie is without them? It wasn't a bad movie in the way so many people suggested, it was just weird. In fact, I'd say it was a bad movie at all. The only real twist to the whole thing is that the way it's first presented to the audiences doesn't match at all to the actual movie. There are no monsters, and nobody's out to get The Village.

It's not a bad movie. It seems well-acted, though the dialog is very stilted, but I think that's intentional. Certainly, it is much better than Unbreakable, and probably in the same league as Signs, though The Sixth Sense leaves them all in the dust. On the other hand, I'm not sure the movies can be compared like that. They're about completely different things, but I have to admit that I couldn't sit through Unbreakable more than 30 minutes, and I watched Signs about 4 times in the theatre alone. If you don't know why I'm comparing these particular movies, it's because they're written and/or proceduced by M. Night Shyamalan.

So, on the scale of Unwatchable/Watchable/Repeat Watchable, I'd say The Village is definitely Repeat Watchable.

Technorati Tags: / / / /

2 Comments:

At Thu Jul 21, 01:03:00 PM ADT, Blogger thordora said...

Am I the only one alive who liked Unbreakable? I think that he didn't take it to the level he could have, but I really liked it.

The Village on the other hand, drove me insane...I don't know what felt longer, that, or Troy...

 
At Sat Jul 23, 12:54:00 PM ADT, Anonymous Realmspace said...

THe Lie was kinda obvious really early on it the Village, a bit disappointing, I thought they could have disgused it far better.

 

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved