This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Questioning my own wisdom

I've often wondered, even as I'm shopping for food, whether it really makes sense to keep so much non-perishable food at home, and that doesn't even include what's in my freezer. I've got enough fish in there to last probably two weeks, three loaves of bread, canned soups, canned vegetables, cereal bars, juice cans, and so on and so forth.

What really is the point of all that food? Why am I hoarding nuts, cereals, raisins, tin cans, dry breads, drinks, teas, potatoes, yogurt and all that jazz? Some of it goes bad because I simply can't eat some of this stuff fast enough, but I go ahead and replace it anyway, knowing that most likely, it too will go bad. There's no local or national disaster going on, no food delivery strikes, Y2K terror is long since gone(and I never even believed any of that, though fixing Y2K computer problems was a great way to make a lot of money very quickly). So why hoard the way I've been doing, and will continue to do?

Well, this recent illness of mine has proven the wisdom of this course of action. I haven't been this sick for quite this long in years, and I haven't been able to get out for almost a week now. Well, since I haven't been able to get out for all this time, and I live alone, it's a damn good thing I had all that food, or I'd've had nothing to eat. As it is, I'm now officially out of bread, cold cut meats, soups, etc. If it hadn't been for all that hoarding, with its attendent spoilage, I'd be pretty damn hungry.

I suppose I could've ordered delivery for all those days, but that's a huge waste of money and I'm sure it would kill me; you can't eat out all the time, particularly not when you're sick. The other possibility was to ask a friend or two to shop for me, but there were a couple of problems with that idea. First, my mind wasn't working enough to ask for what I needed, and second, I wasn't sure if I was contagious or not. Plus I would've needed a huge amount of food to last out the week, or I'd have to keep asking for people to fill me up, so to speak.

So, next time somebody tells you it's bad to hoard, so long as you do it within reason, tell them to leave you the hell alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved