This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The insanity of the club culture

I live across the street from a major bar. The reason I say that right at the onset is that you know where I'm coming from, and what my bias is.

I'm not much of a partyer, and never have been. In my younger days, when I was young and foolish(as opposed to today when I'm merely foolish), I used to go out to strip clubs quite often and spend many of “quality” hours there. Because of where I lived, I could only go on weekends, and usually for the one day. But the time I'd get home, I'd usually be mostly sober, and no, I wasn't the one driving. Ah, the good ol' days.

Now, as I said above, I live across the street from a bar. A regular bar, the local strip joint is across another street after that. Yes, they allow that sort of thing in residential areas. Hell, this town allows a strip club across the street from a high school. In any case, because of my proximity to the bar, I hear the partying going on there well into the night, especially in the summer when I have to keep my windows open. More importantly, however, I see the people leaving the bar and going home at least semi-drunk. It's the same people almost every day.

Once I saw two teenage girls(as in 18+) crossing the street after they left the bar. One was more or less sober, but the other had completely passed out, on the opposite curb. Her sober friend kept trying to get her on her feet to walk across the road to my building where they lived, but of course she wasn't big enough or strong enough for that. At first I was going to go there and help them, but then I remembered that 38yo never-married no-children men do not put hands on drunk women, young or not, not if they want to have no possibility of legal troubles. I waited and watched them, just in case, until a married couple showed up to help. It's a sad world we live in, but that's what you get when you abuse sexual harrassment statutes and make a mockery of rape laws. In case you think I'm being overly-dramatic, this is the same sort of reason people are advised to just call in accidents on deserted roads and not stop to help, especially in the dark. Drivers who stopped on a certain highway in Ontario to help a car in the ditch have been ambushed.

In any case, what, exactly, is the point of getting drunk like that in the middle of the week? They're out there partying, drinking themselves senseless, opening themselves up for all sorts of problems, not the least of which is abuse and rape. Men don't have much to fear for rape, but they have their own problems when they're drunk. I tend to fall asleep when I'm drunk, but many get nasty and/or violent when they're drunk. The thing is, except the first time you get drunk, you know what you're like after drinking; it is impossible that you cannot. And so, they continue to go out, drink, get nasty. At 2 o'clock in the morning, I don't want to hear the sounds of retching or drunken arguments outside.

These bars are open till 2am, and in the spring, summer and fall, they have outside patios in full swing, with music blaring and people screaming. What is the point of the constant partying? Does having fun and dancing like that not dull the meaning of it? And if so, do you crave it more and more, because you can't really satisfy your desire for it because you've been dissentised to it? Even if you have to party, is it really necessary to do it, and the inevitable drunken stagger home out in public?

In other words, do you feel no pride in yourself, is partying all night long really all there is to your lives? If so, I feel sorry for you, I really do. I wish your lives were brighter, somehow. Next time you're out, think about how other people look at and think about you. It's tempting to claim that you don't care about what other people think, but that's only true if you don't dress up to go to these bars every day. Being a rebel and non-conformist isn't really all its cracked up to be, especially if you have to conform to your local group of non-conformists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved