This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Double-standard, thy name is hillarity

If you watch the show “Will & Grace” long enough, you come to realize how much they highlight, though I don't know if intentionally, the double-standard in how women are treated vs how men, especially gay men, are treated, when they sleep around too much. I suppose it's open for debate what “too much” means in this context, but that's not really the point. Nor am I any too sure that these double-standards are particularly healthy for the gay community.

In general, a woman who sleeps around with many men, especially in a short amount of time, would be called a 'slut', and on most shows, they're not usually shown in a particularly good light. Men, too, would not be shown well, on most shows. Gay men, on the other hand, are invariably shown in a positive light when they do the same thing. I'm not sure if it's an outgrowth of the old San Fransisco bathhouse culture(I don't even know if it still exists), but I'm not sure it's healthy.
I haven't heard of too many controversies regarding this show, so my initial guess is that the gay community is OK with the treatment they get on it, and that means that they're OK with the behaviour. The question, is it appropriate? I don't know. But it can't be healthy, either emotionally or physically, especially in the age of AIDS and other nastiness.

I could, of course, be completely out to lunch with all this. As well, it can be argued that points I brought up here are merely strawmen I created in order to destroy. But personally, I don't really believe that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved