This is my personal thoughts, opinions and musings place. I will also rant about things, especially politically-correct things that irritate me. And sci-fi. Did I mention sci-fi? There'll be lots of sci-fi stuff here. And movies, too. Mmmmm... Movies

Friday, February 25, 2005

No statistician I am

There's a story on the web, ABC news specifically, that 1 in 6 Web users can distinguish paid ads in search results from regular links, the implication being that 5 in 6 can't. That's fine, and I have no issue with that. They're often difficult to tell apart, though not really impossible.

No, what caught my attention was the following paragraph:

The telephone-based Pew study was conducted May 14-June 17 and involved 2,200 adults, including 1,399 Internet users. Results based on Internet users have a Margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're not an Internet user, how does it even remotely matter if you can tell paid ads from regular search results? Why even include them in the study? Or is this one of those double-blind thingies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

Copyright © 2005 Yury D.   All Rights Reserved